Monday, July 2, 2012

Harvest Monday

We've had a week of record heat and the garden has really taken off. We've also had some fierce thunderstorms which were quite damaging in some parts of the state that got large hail (thankfully we avoided that!) Unfortunately heat and humidity bring the beginnings of various plant diseases and I'm already seeing that with some of my vegetables. But this is Harvest Monday and I am going to focus on the bounty of the harvest, not the worries of what's to come. First of all, I am so excited to find that my June harvest totalled over 94 pounds! Last year for June I harvested 56 pounds of vegetables and that was the best I'd ever done, so I'm pretty stoked about how this spring has gone.                                           
You can see here some carrot thinnings, cabbages and a basket of kale.
 Below, I have mizuna, kohlrabi, some little beets and a broccoli...
 Some better looking beets, another cabbage, broccoli, zucchini and yellow squash and some garlic...
 From earlier in the week, my cauliflower. It was delicious, though all my seven heads were the equivalent of one large head you'd purchase at the store. Still, I'll be trying them again in the fall.
 And yet another bushel of lettuce. Mostly romaine, all of it getting slightly bitter, but we don't mind that too much and the summer lettuce is still tiny so we'll take what we can get!
And that's it for the harvest this week! The peas are done and I'll soon be pulling out the plants. Go on over to Daphne's Dandelions to enjoy everyone else's harvest and be inspired!

18 comments:

  1. Beets, squash and zucchini...3 things I'm (not so patiently) waiting for right now...which means your harvest looks perfect to me ;-) Happy harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Bee Girl! It's always interesting to me how everyone's garden develops at different rates even in areas that are relatively close to each other. In truth, my beets and summer squash have only just begun. This is only my second year of success with beets and my squash did very poorly in the past. I'm sure yours will be there soon!

      Delete
  2. Looks very nice to me. I am only harvesting tomatoes and peppers right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My tomatoes and peppers are not ready yet. And I'm nervous because the tomatoes already have some kind of disease; it's always a battle to try to keep ahead of the disease in my garden.

      Delete
  3. Oh, you lucky person. At least you got cauliflower, all I have are bunches of green leaves! I'm hungry for more beets, too. I already ate all of mine and the next planting is just coming up. Other than that, is looks like our gardens are pretty close in what they are producing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the cauliflower was beginner's luck.But I'll keep trying! My second planting of beets had very poor germination, so I reseeded them and wonder if I'll get anything. I have never gotten my later beets to bulb up at all.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the hail missed you! It can sure wreak havoc on the garden. Lovely harvests, including the cauliflower. It's tough to grow, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave! I've been hearing how tough cauliflower is so I'm amazed I got some. And indeed am happy to have missed the hail. We don't often get it in CT, but this is an odd weather year for sure. Maybe it's the wave of the future.

      Delete
  5. A very nice harvest. That cauliflower is more than I've been able to harvest in 2 or 3 years. I just haven't been able to figure cauliflower out yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe it's the variety I planted? I planted the variety "charming snow" which I purchased from Fedco seeds. The heads were quite small, but then, so are my broccoli heads also!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely variety of harvest! Your cauliflower looks good to me, as does everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary and thanks for stopping by to visit!

      Delete
  7. Hi Nutmeg Gardener, You are doing great with your harvest and weighing it! Lovely! Next year I need to start weighing everything. Would like to try some broccoli this fall. Guess I had better look up soon when I should plant it! Everything looks yummy! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I think now's the time to start the broccoli for fall. My fall plants grew nice and big but never did develop heads. I keep trying though! I like to weigh the produce because it gives me an idea how I'm doing from year to year. My first garden was horrible and each year I try to improve on the year before. My goal was to have enough produce for our needs and to have extra to give because gardeners have always been generous to me.

      Delete
  8. That is some really fine looking broccoli and cauliflower. Well Done! We battle fungus/disease in the tomato patch every year because of the cool damp region I live in (coastal Washington state) and so I totally understand the anxious concerns about what is brewing out in the garden. Keeping my fingers crossed that we both get a decent summer of production before diseases start taking their inevitable toll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitsap! Our summers here tend to be warm and humid so yes, I'm always running just ahead of the powdery mildew, the blight and everything else nature throws at us. Good luck with your growing!

      Delete
  9. That is a very impressive monthly total, well done! The cabbages look lovely, I hope mine do as well. Pity about the size of the caulis but I bet they tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you stopped by. This is my second year growing cabbages and I'm pleased with how they've done. I only wish my red ones would do as well!

      Delete