Friday, August 30, 2013

A Mystery Tomato

In the winter, I ordered seed for an early tomato variety called Glacier. Like most earlies, they are supposed to be small, about 2 inches in diameter, and orange-red. I started several plants and ended up planting the two healthiest out in the garden. It didn't take long to see a significant difference between the fruits on the two "Glacier" plants. And this is what I got on one of them:
Two large yellow tomatoes. Now, I plant about 20 varieties of tomato. And I know I did not order any yellow varieties. Purple, yes. Yellow, no. So I have a mystery on my hands. What are these? The only thing I can say for certain is they taste quite delicious! Far better than the real Glaciers I have growing, but it's not likely I'll ever know what I'm eating!

9 comments:

  1. Are you sure they didn't send you a Kellogg's Breakfast? That was always my favorite yellow tomato. Hey, don't feel badly. I grew a Victor from my self saved Black Cherry seeds this year! How did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Granny, I don't know! I've never been tempted to grow a yellow variety before, but maybe Kellogg's Breakfast should be on my list! I wonder if any of the other seeds in that Glacier packet are yellow tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. I don't know how it happened but it sure looks tasty! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you like it save some seed. Whatever it is you can keep growing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I really enjoy having a few yellow tomatoes. Perhaps the seed coming is trying to increase their sales of yellow varieties by getting people to try them without realising that's what they are growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny Liz! Maybe you are right, because I'd never been tempted to grow yellow ones, but these were quite tasty!

      Delete
  5. Save some seeds from your mystery tomato, so you can name it and grow it again next year, it looks delicious!
    Erbe in Cucina (Cooking with herbs)
    http://www.erbeincucina.it

    ReplyDelete