Monday, October 29, 2012

Harvest Monday

The storm is on our doorstep, so I am putting up a quick Harvest Monday post before we inevitably lose power. So far there is steady wind out there and clouds, but not much more yet. A neighboring town has already experienced some outages.
I don't have a lot of harvest to report this week! Just some few fall carrots and French breakfast radishes. I have quite a few carrots out there in the garden, but am leaving them to get bigger while they still can. They are looking quite a bit nicer and larger than any of my spring grown carrots, which is a pretty nice surprise! Hope the voles don't discover them. And I'd just about given up on the radishes when almost overnight they formed nice crunchy bulbs. I still have lettuce growing, but it is a bit small and I'm hoping it will get a little larger before harvesting it.
 Did also harvest a bit or flat leaf parsley, which came in handy for some kale and bean soup I made.
 And, I almost forgot, I harvested another pound of broccoli shoots. It is incredible to me how that broccoli keeps on producing so well. The weather people like to use the work "unprecidented" and that's a good word for what this year's broccoli production seems to me!

As I sit here typing I heard a huge flock of starlings settle in the trees around the house, cheeping away as they rest and reconnoiter before heading to the south (and safety, I hope.) Our hill seems to be a favorite stopping place. I wish them well and am sending out prayers and well wishes for safety to all those who are going to be affected by this big storm that's going on out there. Stay safe everybody! And head on over to Daphne's Dandelions while you still have power to see how the harvests are going with gardeners the world over!

18 comments:

  1. Stay safe from the storm! Those carrots look great. I have two sections still out there in the garden and like you, I am hoping the voles and other critters don't find them too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those voles a pain?! I think they are harder to deal with than just about any other creature.

      Delete
  2. Great harvests- Stay safe! That stupid storm kicked our butts for days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it's a strong slow one. Hope you didn't have much damage.

      Delete
  3. I prewrote my Harvest Monday just in case of a power outage, but so far not much wind here. But then we won't get it as bad as you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! The wind hasn't gotten too bad yet; I expected more sooner. I'm glad it's after the peak growing season though, so don't have to worry much about the garden.

      Delete
  4. I hope you weather the storm safely, and that all the migrating birds get along home without fail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay safe and dry and hope for no damage to the garden. Love the carrots - mine are still tiny and won't be ready for picking until much later in fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! It isn't bad yet, but things are deteriorating.

      Delete
  6. Great that you are still harvesting that much. Stay safe in the storm and hope you don't lose your power! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! I am actually writing this reply on generator power as we did lose our electricity last night. We turn on the generator intermittantly, just to get news and to keep the freezer cold. I hope you are well as the storm heads west. A friend in Ohio had some tree damage this morning.

      Delete
  7. Hope you make it through the storm. Wind in Central NY is very strong right now, so far I still have power but I'm already tired of listening to the wind. I finished up with my gardens this past weekend, there are still a couple of green tomatoes and peppers out there, and some raspberries. Maybe I can pick them after the storm if they don't blow away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed you still have tomatoes and peppers at all out there! Good luck with the storm. We are without power for now; hope it's back soon!

      Delete
  8. I hope you have/are surviving the wild weather. Thinking of you all over there - hope any damage is minimal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! So far so good. No damage on our property, but no electricity because there are so many trees and branches down on the lines. A very near town to ours some poor soul was killed by a tree falling on him (or her) while walking with family to a neighbor's who had power. Very, very sad.

      Delete
  9. Hope you weathered the storm without much damage. I did lose power and cable services but all back to normal now, not out of the woods until later today or early tomorrow, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern Norma. I'm glad you did OK! We are still without power, but the generator is allowing me to get online and tv for short times during the day and hopefully keeping my freezer cold.

      Delete