Friday, August 17, 2012

Sun Jewel

When I went to the garden yesterday morning I found that one of my Sun Jewel melons had detached itself from the vine. So it was time to take it in and give it a try.
 It looks like a giant cucumber and has a lemon yellow color.  This one weighed 2 and a quarter pounds. I think it could have used another day or two on the vine to be fully ripe. Thankfully, I have two more large ones that are almost ready. There are another four on the vines that are large but still green.
The good news is that it is very tasty. Kind of tastes like a mild honeydew melon to me. I'd read reviews online, some of which were glowing and some were not. Some people find the taste too bland. Sun Jewel is a Korean variety that is showing up in farmer's markets because it is easy to grow and prolific. For us it is the perfect melon because of its ease of growing. It's the first one I've ever been successful with and barring disaster, I should end up with at least 6 melons. Very exciting for this gardener!

4 comments:

  1. What a beauty! I am not much of a melon grower (though I try every year). I am envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this might be the variety to try! Works for me!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nutmeg gardener, Looks like you have some yummy melons. That is smething that I do not grow! I left you and Shawn Ann a comment about Comfrey Tea on my blog. If you have any more questions about it, please feel free to e-mail me. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Nancy! I'm going to hop on over there to check it out!

      Delete